Forensic biology is the application of biology to law enforcement. It includes the sub disciplines of Forensic anthropology, Forensic botany, Forensic entomology, Limnology, Forensic serology, Forensic odontology, wildlife forensic and DNA forensics.
Forensic biology has been used to prove a suspect was at a crime scene, identify illegal products from endangered species, solve crimes by matching crime scene evidence to suspects, investigate airplane bird strikes and investigate bird collisions with wind turbines.
SEROLOGY & HAEMATOLGY
Serology is the scientific study of serum and other
bodily fluids. Hematology is the study of morphology and physiology of blood
- Origin of species
- Blood grouping
- Detection of blood
- Barr body identification
Forensic botanists look to plant life in order to gain information regarding possible crimes. Leaves, seeds and pollen found either on a body or at the scene of a crime can offer valuable information regarding the timescales of a crime and also if the body has been moved between two or more different locations. The forensic study of pollen is known as forensic palynology and can often produce specific findings of location of death, decomposition and time of year.
It is the scientific study of insects of forensic importance for the medico-legal investigations
1. PMI Determination
DNA BASED TECHNIQUES
DNA based evidence has become a significant tool that many law enforcement investigators now have at their disposal. DNA evidence can definitively link a suspect to either a crime scene or victim. Nuclear DNA evidence has been recovered from blood, semen, saliva, skin cells and hair. Furthermore Mitochondrial DNA can be recovered from both bone and teeth dating back thousands of years. Laboratory analysis of DNA evidence generally involves the sample being amplified and quantified by a form of the Polymerase chain reaction known as Quantitative PCR or qPCR. (PCR) amplification of any sample recovered followed by sequencing via Capillary electrophoresis in order to obtain a DNA profile which can be compared to suspect DNA.
DNA can also be extracted from animals and used to at least identify the species, for example bird or bat remains on an airplane or wind turbine.
- Department of Forensic Biology is
working on various aspects of bio-forensic significance. We are keen to establish a research centre of
excellence in the area.
- The entomology plays key role in investigation of crimes in forensic studies. We are planning to develop a sophisticated entomology laboratory with controlled environmental conditions (Temperature and Humidity).
- The limnology plays vital role in Drowning investigation. We are planning to develop regional diatom database.
- We are planning to develop a well-equipped DNA fingerprinting laboratory and criminal DNA databank by using DNA sequences.
Forensic biologists may become experts in:
- DNA analysis
- Forensic anthropology
- Forensic pathology
- Forensic entomology
- Forensic botany
- Biological chemistry
In addition to helping solve crimes, forensic biologists may investigate environmental contamination or other public health threats.
Instruments in Department
- AUTOCLAVE ( SMALL)
- AUTOMATIC PIPETTE WASHER
- BACTERIOLOGICAL INCUBATOR
- BIOSAFETY CABINET
- CENTRIFUGE MACHINE
- CENTROFIX AUTOCLAVE (50LTRS)
- COMPOUND MICROSCOPE
- DEEP FREEZER (-20
- DIGITAL COLORIMETER & FILTER
- DIGITAL COLORIMETER(400-700NM) (LABTRONIX)
- DIGITAL PH METER
- DIGITAL SPECTROPHOTOMETER
- DIGITAL TURBIDITY METER
- DISTILLATION UNIT SINGLE
- DOUBLE DISTILLATION UNIT
- ELECTRONIC RELAY UNIT BOROSIL
- EPPENDORF REFRIGERATED CENTRIFUGE WITHOUT ROTOR
- GEL DOCUMENTATION SYSTEM
- GEL DRYER
- HORIZONTAL ELECTROPHORESIS WITH POWER PACK
- HOT AIR OVEN
- INCUBATOR SHAKER ECOTRON WITH ACCESSORIES
- L.G.DOUBLE DOOR 365L REFRIGERATOR
- LABORATORY HOT PLATE
- LABORATORY REFRIGERATORS AND FREEZERS
- LABOVISION KL 10M MONOCULAR COMPOUND MICROSCOPE
- MICROWAVE OVEN
- MINI ELECTROPHORESIS UNIT
- RECTANGULAR WATER BATH
- RO DEIONIZATION AND 301 TANK COMBINED IN ONE UNIT WITH PUMP (MAKE: SIEMENS)
- SEMIDRY BLOTTERS
- TRAVELLING MICROSCOPE
- THERMAL CYCLER(PCR)
- UV CABINET
- VERTICAL ELECTROPHORESIS UNIT
- VORTEX MIXTURE
- WATER BATH 12 HOLE WITH THERMOSTAT